Masala Puri & Runny Potato curry-Kolkata street food joint styleFriday, October 10, 2014
Aloor Tarkari or Runny Potato curry...........
This is very easy to make with very few ingredients, but some selective spices play a key role here.
You Need :
Potato : 2-3, medium, diced
Cholar dal/Bengal gram dal : 1/3 cup, soaked in water
Dry red chillies : 2, whole
Panch phoron : 1 tblsp.(mustard seed, black cumin seed, cumin seed, fennel seed & fenugreek seed-mix in equal quantity)
Asofoetida/Hing : 1/2 tsp.
Turmeric Powder : 2 tsp.
Red chilli powder : 2 tsp. or as per taste
Cumin powder : 2 tsp.
Mustard oil : 1 tblsp.
Salt to taste
Sugar : 1 tsp.
How To :
- Soak the chana dal overnight in plain water or in hot water for 4 hours. Dice the potatoes in medium size pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan/kadhai, in full flame, temper with dry red chilli and panch phoron, seeds will crackle and darken a bit and you'll get the aroma of fried spices, then lower the flame to medium and add hing/asofoetida, then add the potatoes, mix well with spices. Now add the soaked chana dal.
- Then add the powdered spices, salt and mix well. Add sugar and salt. Mix and when spices are coated well with potatoes, add 1 cup lukewarm water. At this moment, you can pressure cook this for 2-3 whistles or you can cook in the same pan till potatoes and dal is cooked. keep desired quantity of liquid in the curry, check the seasoning and remove from heat.
- Serve hot with Kochuris , puris or paratahs.
Masala Puri ...........................
You need :
Whole wheat flour(atta) : 1 cup
White flour(maida) : 1 cup
Ajwain seed : 1 tsp.
Red chilli powder : 1 tsp.(optional)
Salt : 1 tsp.
Ghee/oil : 1 tblsp.
Enough hot water to knead the dough
Vegetable oil/soyabean oil to deep fry the puris
How To :
- In a big bowl, take both the flours, add salt, ajwain seed, red chilli powder and ghee. Combine well this mixture.
- Then slowly add enough water to knead a soft dough. Divide in equal lemon sized balls from the dough.
- Flatten this balls into 2-3 inch round shaped puris and keep aside.
- Heat enough oil in a wide pan and fry these puris from both sides.
- Enjoy with the fresh prepared hot and runny potato curry.
Enjoy the simplicity of this combo..it is one of my comfort food, try it, It'll be yours too!!!!!!!!!!