Entering the Bread Baking World with Simple Buns/Pav BunsWednesday, October 29, 2014
Recently, I have successfully entered into the world of baking bread. Baking a bread for my family at home was my dream for long time. The main ingredients to bake a bread is a good quality yeast which was missing for so long. With the help of online shopping, I have bought a good quality yeast from another city and with a perfect recipe, baked these Pav Buns at home within few hours. If you have excess to a good quality yeast, then do not hesitate to try it at home, as the process is very simple, anyone can do it. I followed a recipe by Sanjeev Kapoor from a baking book I have, I'll share the recipe now............
You Need : [ Makes about 9-10 buns]
All purpose Flour : 3 1/2 cups
Salt : 1 1/2 tsp.
Yeast : 15 gms. or 1 tblsp. [I used Gloripan brand instant dry yeast]
Sugar : 2 tsp.
Butter : 2-3 tblsp.
- In a bowl, combine the yeast with sugar and 1/4 cup lukewarm water, stir and set aside for 10-15 minutes to froth.
- In a big wide bowl, take the flour and salt, give it a good mix. Add the frothy yeast mixture and knead adding lukewarm water little at a time, till you use up 1 cup of water. Stretch and knead the dough till smooth and elastic. Cover with a damp kitchen cloth and set aside till it doubles in size.
- After it doubled in size, knock back the dough, can use little dry flour if you see the dough has become little soggy. Knead some more and make a soft dough. Divide the dough into equal size balls. Shape them into smooth round balls. Place the balls touching each other on a greased baking tray, cover with a damp cloth and set aside for 15 minutes or till they doubles in size again.
- Preheat your oven to 190 degreeC or 375 degreeF. Place the baking tray in the oven. Brush the top of the roll with melted butter and bake for 25-30 minutes. The rolls should be light golden brown on top and very soft to touch.
- Remove from the oven and don't forget to brush the top of the buns with melted butter again, this will keep the buns soft for long time. Place on a wire rack to cool.
- Enjoy the buns in breakfast time with butter or jam or dinner time with some bhaji, that's completely your choice.
- After the buns cool off, keep inside an air-tight container for up to 2-3 days outside refrigerator.
- Brush the top of the bread with melted butter again after taking them off the oven.This will keep your buns soft like a pillow even after one day.